Pages

Background

Friday 29 April 2011

A Royal Occasion

So, the big day is finally upon us.  All that build up, all the column inches, dress speculation and union jack inspired paraphernalia will slowly die down to leave us with The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge.  It really was beautiful.  However, for someone who isn’t really a follower of royal goings on I found myself more engrossed than I anticipated in this romantic fairytale.

I am not anti-royal family by any means.  I just don’t follow them, know who some of them are etc.  So, when Wills and Kate announced their engagement a little part of me thought, ‘So what?’  How little I knew!

As the big day drew closer I got more and more excited.  I didn’t really know why either, being neutral towards the royal family had led me to think I was neutral towards the wedding so what exactly changed?  Two words…Kate Middleton.  She had captured the nation, she had captured me.  For every girl who had ever dreamed of being a princess (that is all of us, right?) she was making it come true.  Before our very eyes Kate became Catherine.  A normal girl (ok, she was slightly better off than most!) has captured the heart of a Prince.  Wow.  Fairytale. 

I woke up at 10.30 today, (the royal wedding day!) in perfect time to watch the royal wedding cars arrive and for Kate to walk into the Abbey.  Of course, I made my morning brew to watch the ceremony – very British!  
I didn’t really care about the location, the countless guests, the crazy array of fascinators – I cared about watching her become a Princess.  Watching her marry the man she loves and live the fairytale, making every girls dream a beautiful reality.  She looked so pretty, composed and natural, taking the events of the day in her stride.  And don’t even get me started on those two kisses! For me the royal family has just got more interesting and I am so pleased that a ‘normal’ person has been welcomed into the fold.   Goodbye Kate, hello Princess Catherine.

So girls, which one of us will catch Harry’s eye? 

1 comment:

  1. Couldn't agree with you more! There was a big "wooo" in our house as we caught a glimpse of Kate in her dress. What a lovely day it was

    ReplyDelete